Friday, July 10, 2009

Meandering

I'm still trying to figure out just exactly what I want to do with this blog. I could post about something that would generate responses and feedback: abortion, politics, religion, and the like. The problem is that those topics tend to slide into flamewars for exactly the same reason that they attract responses. People like to argue about them. Frankly, I'm not sure I have the energy to properly moderate even a respectful conversation on that sort of topic; plus, I don't have time to watch the blog all day. Even if I did, that sounds too much like work.

I suppose I could put up some thoughts about writing - riffing off the Writing Combat class, for example. I had a little series of blurbs on different kinds of weapons that I wrote to encourage some diversity over at a roleplaying site, but I only got about three of them done. Still, they'd be an easy way to fill some space.

I don't really want to put up stories or pieces of stories. There are several reasons for this: the way I write often involves going back and correcting things in midstream, which makes this a not-entirely-satisfactory medium; most publishers still prefer things that have never been made available on the web; and if I'm going to publish something, I prefer to have it fairly polished before people look at it.

I could, on the other hand, put up personal stories and little bits of trivia. That has a certain (narcissistic) appeal, and might even produce some interesting material. I'll have to think about that a little bit more. Future rants will probably go here, instead of in the Book of Rants; I suppose I could transplant some older rants here, where people could comment on them.

Other than that... I'm open to suggestions. Anybody have anything they particular want to hear me pontificate about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!