Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Road Trip!

Right, so, I spent the weekend in Arkansas (in the Little Rock area) for a family reunion. My wife's family, really, but one of the things about being married is that they're now my family, too.

The trip was a very good thing in terms of helping me shake off my sinus infection. Unfortunately, our return has reminded me of exactly how awful the quality of what-we-laughably-call-air is here in Dallas. In Arkansas, I was fine; here, I can barely walk outside before my sinuses close up and my throat gets sore. I'm strongly motivated to try some pollution-reducing measures, like bicycling to work, except that then I'd have to breathe more of that sh*t. I'd end up with bronchitis or emphysema or both - or else I'd have to be riding the bicycle while wearing one of those old World War II gas masks.

I'd move - seriously, I would; it would be a lot healthier - but our entire social support network is here. Honestly, there are weeks when I wonder if even that is worth the amount of time I spend being sick, or sick-ish, as a result of breathing all this pollution.

The downside of the trip is that it seriously cut into my writing time. (This was entirely worthwhile overall, but that still remains a downside.) However, I did get a few things done. Mainly, I finished converting my plot for Warrior's Legacy into an actual scene-by-scene outline. This means that I can actually get started on the rewrite (as long as I can stay healthy enough to concentrate). I'm very excited about this.

I also made a little progress on a short story I've been working on for a friend; this has been strangely slow going, considering that I know the setting and the characters involved quite well. I may try to finish that (and two other, related projects which are also running late) before I leap back into the novel.

It's basically a matter of time and attention, and I'm not really overflowing with either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!