Tuesday, February 9, 2010

G-d is Pro-Life

So I'm driving home from work the other day, and there is - naturally - a car in front of me. In this case, it's a Lincoln Compensator*, so it's more like a mobile building than a vehicle, but leave that be for the moment. On the back window (because apparently the bumper wasn't obvious enough) there was a sticker that said:

God is Pro-Life

Now, I realize that I tend to find this sort of thing more obnoxious than a lot of people do. I'm a compulsive reader; if you put text in front of me, I will read it. Even if it's just the ingredients on a cereal box, I will read it. So this affects me in much the same way that someone going around shouting the slogan over and over would affect most people: I may agree or disagree, but it becomes obnoxious just because it's hard to ignore.

I actually thought this one was kind of cute. After all, G-d is supposed to have called forth "grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself", "great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind", "the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind"; and, of course, G-d is supposed to have created man. So, yes, you could probably call anyone who created all those living things "Pro-Life".

Of course, G-d is also supposed to have given his creation Free Will (at least in some interpretations - I'm going with the way I was taught**), so he could be considered "Pro-Choice" by much the same logic.

And, since G-d is also supposed to have created the heavens - and since space consists mainly of a lot of... well... empty space - G-d is also clearly "Pro-Void".

None of which has anything to do with the current socio-political argument. Still, as an interesting little bit of conflation, it's fairly clever.

The alternative reading of the sticker - "God Supports My Political Opinion" - is rather less clever, and probably constitutes taking His name in vain.

To quote Anne Lamott, "You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

* I think the actual brand is "Navigator," but I prefer the malapropism.

** Episcopalian.

2 comments:

  1. God is pro-life until birth then all bets are off. Bomb, shoot, execute,drown....all OK in the view of some.

    You are right to the bumper sticker as a political statement.

    Reminds me of the sticker that said "God still speaks through a Bush." (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it would definitely be easier to categorize G-d as unequivocally "pro-life" if the design of His creation didn't require living things to eat other living things in order to go on living.

    And I'm in complete agreement that the Pro-Life movement, as it currently exists, demonstrates an appalling disregard for what happens after the child is born. I'd really only meant to touch on the abortion debate in a tangential way, mainly because I find the whole thing painfully stupid... which should probably be a post unto itself.

    I missed the "God still speaks through a Bush" sticker, and I'm fairly happy about that. That's... just... ::shakes head sadly::

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!