Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Reflections on Motivation

So why do we do it? If worshiping the Ancients is this much work, this much risk, this much trouble, why do we do it?

Part of it, of course, is just because we know we’re right. We know the things we worship are real. If you call Them, They come. You don’t get any more real than that.

One of the techs - let’s call him Toby - was talking about his beliefs at work the other day. I’m not sure if he meant to be witnessing, or if he was just really excited about the nice things he thought Jesus had done for him, but he went on for a good twenty minutes. He’d prayed to get into the right college, and he had; he’d prayed to get a scholarship so he could afford it, and he did; and while he was there, he met this wonderful Christian girl, and he hadn’t even prayed for that at all.

It’s times like that which really try my patience. I mean, on one level it was funny: him talking about these things as if they were proof that god was helping him along. But it got real tiresome, real fast. He was so wrong, but of course I couldn’t correct him. And he just went on and on, as if everything he said just made him want to say more. He was still talking when I went on break.

One of the nice things about working in a pharmacy is that there’s a lot of tools around. I didn’t need much for what I wanted: a little salt, a single match, and... well, anything more would be telling. It was just a little ritual; it only took a minute.

I came back inside just in time to see it. Toby was talking to... let's call her Claire. Then he coughed, excused himself, opened his mouth to continue... and threw up all over her shoes. I said, "Wow. Maybe God got tired of you talking about Him?"

Claire shot me a look, but I just shrugged. Toby blundered past her, heading for the bathrooms, while I went to fetch the paper towels (and some latex gloves).

End result? Toby went home for the day. Claire went home to change clothes (and probably shower; I didn't ask), then came back. Having Toby gone made for a busy day, but it was worth it.

So that's the other reason why we worship the Great Old Ones: it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!