Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Reflections on Information

On Thursday, I found another note under my door. I wasn't very pleased about this; the last note I found under the door came right after the first attempt on my life, and it had basically mocked me for not being ready for the attack. I didn't expect any better from this one, which was a plain white envelope with the words "white van" written across the front in an ornate script.

Inside was single sheet of paper. Three pictures - two men and one woman - occupied the left side of the page. To the right of each was a list of information: name, address, date of birth, height, weight, place of employment. Like that.

It was unsigned, and there was nothing to indicate its origins. It looked like somebody had put it together in a word processor, and printed it off on a color printer. It didn't come from the Elders; they would have left me a note on our network. It might have come from Mbata, if he were slipping me some information on the side, except that he would have said something in person. The only reason he wouldn't do that is if he were giving me information that the Elders didn't want to me have... and Mbata wouldn't do that.

Other possibilities.... It could be a trap set by the snake cult, of course. The way things have been progressing, that wouldn't surprise me at all. It could be somebody besides Mbata trying to help me out against the Elders' wishes, except that would be suicidally insane and I don't know anyone who would even consider doing that for me. Or it could be real information from a third party... and so far, the twins are the most likely candidates for that sort of role, and I can only guess at their goals and motivations. I'm not inclined to trust anything of theirs without knowing a whole lot more than I do now.

Whatever it is, I can't act on it immediately. Right now, I don't even know for sure that they were the ones in the van that drove me off the road. So I'm going to have to figure out how to check the information without exposing myself (in case it is a trap). And if they were the ones, well... we'll go from there, won't we?

Reflections of a Deranged Cultist is a work of fiction. No blasphemous tomes were consulted in the creation of this entry.

1 comment:

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!