Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reflections on Unlikely Loyalties

I'm happy report a relatively quiet week. Even work has been... well, maybe not sane, but at least manageable. And Claire and I are back to normal, more or less.

The hardest thing for me, right now, is to avoid asking her questions. We have to assume that we're both being watched, by both sides, but there are an awful lot of things I'd like to know about the Father of Serpents, His worship, and Claire's fellow worshippers. It's not just a matter of self-defense, either; I'm really, really curious.

I think she's having the same difficulty, but I'm not sure - I can't ask her. So we keep our mouths shut and occasionally giggle at the absurdity of the whole thing.

There is one bit of sad - or, well, troubling - news, though. Father Peter is in the hospital. Not a heart attack, fortunately; apparently he was visiting one of the parishioners back when the weather was cold, and now he's wound up with pneumonia. Which means he's actually been sick for a couple of weeks, and we only just found out because we don't attend church very regularly. (And yes, if you're curious, that does mean we went last Sunday.)

Claire wants to go visit him. That surprised me at first - I mean, she worships the Father of Serpents; she can't really be a Catholic, right? - but then I realized that actually, I wanted to go visit him, too. He may be a priest; he may suspect me, or Claire, or both of us; but, well, I like the old guy. So, yeah: we're going to visit him as soon as he gets out. That should be in the next day or two.

The next big test for us will be on Friday: movie night with Billy and Crystal. On the one hand, I'm looking forward to seeing them. On the other hand, I'm not too thrilled about spending a couple of hours with some of my best friends and carefully not talking about the things that are most on my mind. We'll see how it goes.

Reflections of a Deranged Cultist is a work of fiction. No drinking, drugs, bizarre rituals designed to bring about the end of the world, or animal sacrifices of any kind were involved in the writing of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!