Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Shining Walls Reloaded

I'm... not entirely happy with the way The Shining Walls is shaping up. I like the main idea - not that I've gotten far enough to start exploring that, mind you - but the writing itself is... not off to a good start.

This is, of course, entirely my own fault. Among other things, the project started (and, so far, has been entirely written) in what I can best describe as a state of abject exhaustion. It has also been competing with a couple of other projects for space in my brain. This is no way to write a book. (Lastly, of course, there's the simple and irrefutable fact that since I'm the one writing it, if I think it sucks I have nobody to blame but myself; if I want the story to Not Suck, I need to write better.)

Rather than deleting what I have, I'm going to mark it with a "Version 01" tag and leave it up. Then I'm going to start again at the beginning, and work on version two. I will, of course, be cannibalizing the bits I like from the first version.

In a way, this is good news. After all, it's been a couple of weeks and the project hasn't been abandoned entirely. That's good, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!