Saturday, December 27, 2014

Writer's... Um... Clutch?

I have an idea. I've been slowly fleshing it out in my head. I like the ways it might go, and I like the things that are falling into place as interactions and events, and I love the setting.

I don't like my opening. I mean, it's not bad, but it just isn't quite working. I wanted to use it to introduce the main character and set him up in his Ordinary World. And it does that, sort of, but it keeps trying to veer off into dull exposition or some long chain of unrelated events -- either way, wasting space until I can maneuver the poor fellow to the start of the Main Quest. (Yes, I'm kind of thinking of this in video game terms. Not sure if that's a good thing, but I appear to be stuck with it for the moment.) It's not the only one, either; I have at least one other opening scene for this same project, but it's just as much of a false start. Only I can't seem to get around either of those two approaches well enough to move on to something that actually works.

It's sort of like when you're trying to remember someone's name, and your brain fastens onto another name that you know is wrong -- but which is so similar that your brain can't move past it to the right name. It's just... arrrgh ...you know?

I think it'll be an awesome little story, if I can just start the benighted thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!