Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Random Access Nightmares...

I spent a fair amount of Sunday playing Dead Space II. If you aren't familiar with it already, it's a video game of the "survival horror" variety, with a science fiction setting. So, basically, take the scary elements of every outer-space horror movie you've ever send, stir them up in a hydroponic vat, add extra blood, and then bake them all together into a video game. It's all there: ancient alien artifacts of uncertain purpose and origin, madness, isolation, horrible monsters, dark corridors, uncertain lighting, unreliable equipment, uncertain allies...

So I really wasn't surprised to find myself having nightmares Sunday night. I mean, that was pretty much what I'd signed up for, right? What I hadn't expected was for the necromorphs to sometimes be the Flood (from the Halo games). The flood are in some ways similar to necromorphs, but in other ways very different: they use weapons, and they have recognizable goals and tactics. So the dream drifted from fighting-in-scary-corridors to fighting-scary-things-in-something-more-like-open-battle to -- of all things -- some of the battle scenes from Advent Rising, an even older game which also happens to be set in outer space with hostile alien enemies.

Seriously, how did my brain get from being hunted in the corridors of a space colony to a beach invasion culminating in a pitched battle outside an ancient alien fortress?


...Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!