Friday, January 6, 2017

Snippet of an Opening Scene

Somber stood in the narrow alley, looking down at the dead body, and suppressed a sigh. He was supposed to be home by now; it was almost dawn. Instead...

He looked at the man beside him. "Tivrus? I need you to go to the Watch Station while I check the body."

Tivrus was an older man, pot-bellied but solid through the arms and shoulders, wearing a hide jacket over a heavy shirt. He looked up at Somber and shook his head. "I don't believe I can."

Somber frowned, but waited.

"Check the body," said Tivrus. "That's me down there, isn't it? I'm dead."

Somber blinked, then cursed his own stupidity. No wonder he'd been sure the body was dead; no wonder he could feel death all through the narrow alleyway. The man had been killed, and his ghost had gone looking for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!